Every once in a while, I take a detour from making jerky into making something else. This is one of those times.
I’m not much of a ‘farmer’ but this year my pear trees – and blueberry bushes – have been full of fruit thanks to Mother Nature. So much so it is impossible to eat it all so we’ve been freezing most of it. All we do is put the fresh fruit into freezer bags and place in freezer. A ‘no brainer’ even for me.
However, my wife did make the best fresh pear cake . . . super moist and with a topping not unlike a praline. Also, like to mention the recipe can be used for making an apple cake . . . and IF you don’t like pralines, you can use a cream cheese frosting on top . . . or so I’m told.
The recipe is below. And, for those who would like to see more about fixing it, please visit this link.
Pear Cake 
Ingredients – Cake
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups flour (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 cups raw diced pears (or apples)
Ingredients – Topping
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 lb. butter (1 stick)
Directions – Cake
- Mix all cake ingredients by hand in order given
- Pour in a greased 9 x 13 inch pan or spring form pan
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes and remove
Directions – Topping
- In a saucepan mix all ingredients and bring to a slow boil for 3 minutes
- Pour over cake and return to oven for 4 minutes.
PS – For the best blueberry filling ever, visit this link.