Dog training in home, distance education in East Texas


Sending Packages to Military Personnel


It’s that time of year again when you’ll want to send packages to service members in our Armed Forces. Some of which may be overseas. We covered many of the basics about shipping last year, i.e., what is the difference between an APO, FPO, DPO; how to package; and how to correctly address the package.   You can get that information and more at this link.

This year we’ll look at a few other things to keep in mind as well as offer some links that may answer any other questions you may have – or do all the work for you  if you desire.

While packaged, non-perishable foods (jerky !!)  are great as well as personal hygiene products, there are some items you should not send as they are restricted. These restricted items are based not only on military guidelines but also on limitations placed by individual countries.   To name a few:

  • obscene articles
  • aerosol can products
  • materials depicting nude or semi-nude persons
  • alcohol
  • flammable items (fireworks/explosives)
  • pork or pork products
  • tobacco
  • live plants

To view more items (approved and banned) please visit this link.

And, if you still need more information, you can phone the Military Postal Service Agency at 1-800-810-6098 or check with your local Post Office.



Helpful Links

Not sure how to package your items. The PDF – ‘Adopt a Platoon’ – gives great information on packaging. Visit their information at this link 

Still needinig more information? Try visiting this site: Any Soldier .   They offer assistance on:

  • what to send
  • who to send it to
  • how to send it


There are some sites that offer a service (paid) to ship pre-packaged boxes of assorted items overseas. The link at Troop Care    is for your convenience, however, we are cannot recommend as we have not used their services. You should perform your own due diligence before making any purchase.



Comments are closed.